If your Richboro rental property is somewhat older, you may be concerned about attracting quality tenants. This is particularly true if you have newer rental homes in your local market. It can be tricky for an older home to compete against newer ones, in particular, if it lacks certain updates. Luckily, there are several things that you can do to help your older rental home look more modern and maintain that strong appeal. In fact, with a little time and not too much money, you can give your rental home a modern makeover that will not only help you attract tenants but may boost your property values, too. Here’s our list of top ways to make your older rental home look modern.
- Go Bright. The modern look and feel are all about light and space. To help your rental’s interiors feel lighter, use light, neutral paint for walls and trim with pops of bright color as accents. Just don’t go for too many colors at once – a separate accent door or wall is usually all you’ll need.
- Open It Up. If your older rental home has a lot of walls dividing the main living areas, consider taking one or more of them down. Modern home design is more open-concept, with large living areas that flow from space to space. Simply removing a wall between the kitchen and dining room, for example, can make your rental feel more open and modern inside.
- Upgrade Cabinet Hardware and Faucets. In the kitchen, a quick upgrade that can help modernize the room is to replace cabinet hardware and the faucet. Clean, bright lines in your cabinet handles and faucets can make a big difference in the look and feel of the kitchen.
- Remove Popcorn Ceilings. If your rental property still has a popcorn ceiling lurking inside, it’s time to get rid of it. Popcorn ceilings were popular at one time, but now they instantly date a rental home’s interior. Opt for a smooth neutral finish on your rental’s ceilings instead.
- Opt-Out of Carpet. One more great way to modernize an older rental is to replace carpeted floors with hard surface flooring, such as durable wood-look vinyl planks. Vinyl planks are not much more expensive than carpet and will probably last much longer than carpet, anyway. Plus, it will help your rental’s interior rooms feel more open and airy, which is the fundamental nature of the modern design.
- Upgrade Outlets and Lights. Hideous or old-fashioned electrical outlets and light fixtures can make your rental look unattractive. By simply replacing both with new, modern styles, you can enhance the contemporary look of any room.
- New Doors. Your rental doors are also an excellent option for modernizing your property. Your rental’s front door, in particular, is a big part of your property’s curb appeal. Consider replacing an old or outdated door with something new and fresh, preferably in a bright, complementary color. A beautiful door can add the welcoming touch your rental needs to stay competitive in today’s rental market.
- Smart Locks, Thermostat, and More. Finally, today’s modern rental homes include a range of smart upgrades, such as smart locks, smart thermostats, and more. These devices can be controlled from a smartphone and help enhance the security and efficiency of any property. Your tenants will love the convenience and savings, and you will love the boost in rental rates and property values you’ll probably get as a result.
Would you like to know more about quick and affordable ways to update your rental property? Give Real Property Management Prosperity a call! Our Richboro property management team helps rental property owners like you create and maintain profitable rental homes. Contact us online for more information.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.